Thursday, August 28, 2014

I wasn't doing SSP right, are you??

So I'm in the middle of a travelling sock.  Late, mind you, so I'm hurrying.

You might be asking, what, pray tell, is a travelling sock?  So, I'll digress to explain:
The traveling sock is the brain child of Wendy Gaal, proprietor of The Knittters Brewing Company.  Each of those is linked below.  Basically, a group of knitters from anywhere, agree to cast on their toes, fit them to themselves, and then send them to the next knitter, in a round robin pattern.  The next knitter in line does 2" or so, depending on the number of members in the group and the total length of the sock (foot plus ankle height).  The knitters keep receiving someone's sock, knitting their section   in their choice of yarn and patterning, then send it on.  The owner gets their toes back finished into a funky sock!  Here are my finished products thus far:

My matchy traveling socks
My funky pair

I am finally at the point to  decrease the heel gusset back down to my original stitches, looking at the pattern to remind myself how, when it says to SSP.  I proceed.  I get to my SSP and think, huh, slip knitwise or purlwise?  I do it, take it out, redo it.  I decide to look it up quick just to be sure I'm on track now.  And see that I'm wrong.  up.  May have always been doing it wrong.  All along until now!  Oh my.  Below is my link to Knitting Daily's guide to doing it the right way...

Basically, you slip knitwise, put the two stitches back on the left needle and knit through the back loops.  I was doing it almost like a ssk, but purlwise.  Oh my!  So, now I learned the right way and I doubt that'll leave me.  If I knew once, I forgot.  The hazards of being self taught.  But, the beauty of the internet, such as it is, that I can search any old question and find a quick answer.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment